Friday, November 03, 2006

Kansas is Long Gone...

We’ve received another letter today from Bernice Ende on her 5,000-mile journey around the western United States with her 8-year-old Thoroughbred, Honor, and her dog, Claire.

We are now a five day ride from Las Vegas! Oh let's see, where to begin? We’ve been put up in Mosquero, a tiny town on HWY 39 made up of ranchers and handsome cowboys. We came into town two days ago very tired, cold, and in need of rest and food. The weather has been so cold that it made my water bottles freeze along with the tarp covering. Claire and I had a blanket of white frost over us, yet I managed to stay warm by wearing all of my clothes all of the time, pulling my warm and faithful Claire close to me, and crawling in for the night. It gets very weary after a few nights, but it’s all in the life of a long rider. I do not complain.

When we came into Mosquero, the folks were friendly and many had heard of us coming. I asked if I could be put up for a few days. Actually many had heard of our coming, as the stop in Beuyeros a few days earlier had sent word. Sheriff Flowers, being a cowboy himself, had stopped 12 miles or so out of town to make sure we had a safe journey into his town, where we were greeted minutes after arriving. We found a corral and shed where we now "live" or call home. I have not slept in a house since leaving Minnesota. We are sleeping in a shed owned by Joe Black, where we’ve been having hot coffee and breakfast brought to us each morning. Honor had new shoes put on her this morning by Jimmy Garcia, another handsome cowboy and national roping champion, who was kind enough to take time out during his busy day as rancher and wildlife management officer. Mosquero is one of those everyone-knows-everyone towns with friendly smiles and generous amounts of hospitality. Again, good fortune has landed us in such a place to rest our weary feet.

I have become seasoned to the weather and I feel it has brought my horse, Claire, and me closer together as a traveling trio. My horse, Honor lies next to us and will eat around the campsite area before stretching to the end of her picket line. We stay together better because of it.

We leave Saturday morning for our final five day stretch into Las Vegas. I have been told it will be warmer as we descend off the plateau. We’ll have to climb back up into Las VegasMontana and this is not really that cold, not so cold that it freezes my breath." I will be put up at the fairgrounds or rodeo grounds in Las Vegas then wait for my sister to arrive and head up to her house for thanksgiving dinner. I am already dreaming of the hot turkey and pumpkin pie, I can already taste it. I tell many who offer us food or invite us in for meals that none of us Claire, Honor, nor I can be trusted around food any longer. It just always looks and tastes so good after a day’s ride. where it may be even colder. I tell people, "I am from Montana and this is not really that cold, not so cold that it freezes my breath." I will be put up at the fairgrounds or rodeo grounds in Las Vegas then wait for my sister to arrive and head up to her house for thanksgiving dinner. I am already dreaming of the hot turkey and pumpkin pie, I can already taste it. I tell many who offer us food or invite us in for meals that none of us Claire, Honor, nor I can be trusted around food any longer. It just always looks and tastes so good after a day’s ride.

I apologize for there are no photos this time. I have three rolls to develop when we get into town, then I will send many. Well, that’s the word from the trail. Many thanks for sending the emails. I wish I could send a video or somehow share in more detail this remarkable way of traveling. I don’t know how many times I have said that people would never believe this. Each and everyday is so uncertain. I never know where I will sleep, where I will get food, or what the road ahead is like, yet each night I lie down and all of our needs have been met somehow, and we are safe, warm, and dry. I am always grateful to those who stop by with curiosity. I always appreciate the generosity that comes our way as it would be quite impossible to ride long rides without the help of others.

Best wishes to all of you at Outfitters Supply in Columbia Falls, Montana. Many thanks for the support.

-Bernice

No comments: